Our service for tenants is simple, transparent and effective. Our aim to help you find the perfect home quickly, easily and with a minimum of fuss.
Via our state of the art shop, innovative web site and informative and knowledgeable team we offer a large selection of good quality properties in desirable and accessible locations that will meet precise requirements and fulfil need and demand making your home search experience quick, easy, enjoyable and successful.
We offer the highest standards of integrity, honesty and professionalism throughout the property moving process making for an unparalleled customer experience from start of service to end.
Information, Permitted Payments and Fees to Tenants from 1st June 2019
Great you have found your new home. It is important to us that the property particulars as listed on our website, in our written marketing materials and in any communication with you are clear, honest, unambiguous and a true representation and every effort is made to check that you have been given accurate and up to date information about the property for which you are applying to rent. If you are unclear, uncertain or confused in any way about the property details of the property you wish to apply for please ask us and one of our dedicated team will be happy to help. Unless specifically stated in the listing the property will be by default be an unfurnished property (white goods may or may not be included; this is at the landlord’s discretion, please check with us and make sure for you own peace of mind). If you have a pet(s), wish to carry out work/business from your home, store a caravan, motor home or any type of commercial vehicle, boat, trailer or have any request outside of the ordinary then landlord approval will be required.
Making an Application
Before your application can begin being processed and proceed to the referencing stage, you will need to pay a holding deposit equivalent to one weeks’ rent for the property you are applying for to take it off the market. This must be made in cleared funds by bacs transfer into our client account. You will then complete a holding deposit pre-tenancy agreement this will stipulate the agreed specific time frames for the letting process, the start date, the length of tenancy, the rent, and the deposit amount.
Once you have completed your pre-tenancy application and paid the holding deposit, we will begin the referencing process. We have 14 days to finalise this process and sign a contract before the deadline for approval ceases so it is essential that you work with the referencing agency to fulfil the tasks requested promptly to avoid any delays and losing your holding deposit. It is a good idea to ensure that any referees are made aware in advance that they will be contacted to enable them to respond promptly. We use an outsourced third-party referencing company to undertake our referencing and credit checks for us. We will register you for tenant screening and then Vouch will get in touch by email with the application form. Please ensure you have to hand your employment details, proof of income, current landlord details, bank details and 3 years of address history.
In the case where a guarantor is required for a tenancy, the guarantor must be aware of the time stipulations with regards to the process and that they are being asked to be a guarantor. They will also have to be aware of the obligations on them and that they will need to sign a guarantee declaration and in some cases be joint and severally liable for the tenancy obligations. This will include the payment of rent and any other terms set out in the agreement in the event that the tenant(s) do not meet their obligations.
Processing of Paperwork
There is a lot of activity around the referencing process and you and or your guarantor(s) will be contacted by ourselves and by Vouch. Please ensure that you answer all queries and complete all tasks in a timely manner as we have a limited period to get everything done and approved. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or queries that you may have and we will endeavour to answer them as quickly as possible.
The agreement that you will sign and will bind you and the landlord as the contracting parties will normally be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement for an initial period as agreed between you of at least a minimum of six months. Both parties the tenant(s) and the landlord(s) are expected to adhere to the terms of the assured shorthold tenancy agreement. Sample copies of the assured shorthold tenancy agreement are available for you to inspect on request. Please ask a member of the team for a copy.
Utilities & Services
As the tenant, you are liable for all services connected to the property (unless notified) and it is your responsibility to advise them of your details upon commencement of the tenancy. The agent cannot guarantee that a telephone service is connected at the property, so you will need to make your own enquiries.
Fees payable by tenants
Since the tenant fee act became law on the 1st June 2019 it is unlawful for a landlord or agent to charge a tenant for anything other than the permitted payments listed below when setting up, or renewing a tenancy. We may charge a tenant any or all of the following when and if required:
- The rent; The rent as advertised and agreed is due to be paid on a per calendar month basis. The rent is due in cleared funds in advance of move in as soon as credit and referencing is passed.
- A security deposit of a maximum of 5 weeks rent, or 6 weeks rent on a property with a rental of over £50,000 per annum. This must be paid in to Fenwick Wards client account in cleared funds ahead of move in and will be stored with the TDS custodial scheme.
- A holding deposit of no more than one weeks rental. This is paid to reserve a property. Please note very important: your holding deposit will be with-held if any relevant person including any guarantor(s):
- Withdraw from the tenancy
- Fail a right to rent check
- Provide misleading or materially false information
- Fail to sign their tenancy agreement and / or deed of guarantee within 15 days (or other deadline for agreement as agreed in writing by mutual consent
- A default fee for late payment of rent (payable after 14 days has elapsed) of 3% above base rate payable from rent due date until the rent is paid and levied to pursue non- payment of rent.
- Reasonable charges for lost keys and / or security fobs. Please note important: tenants are responsible for the actual cost of replacing any lost key(s) internal and external, fobs, and security devices. If the loss of key(s), fob(s) or security devices results in the lock(s) needing to be changed, the actual costs of a locksmith, new lock and replacement keys for the tenant, landlord and any other person(s) requiring keys will be charged to the tenant. If extra costs are incurred there will be a charge of £15 per hour inc VAT for the time taken replacing lost key(s), fob(s) or other security device(s). This may be subject to higher rates if the staff time is incurred out of office hours on evenings or weekends.
- Payments associated with contract variation or change of sharer in a joint and several agreement, at £50 or any reasonable costs incurred if higher, when requested by the tenant; To cover the costs of taking landlords instructions, new tenant referencing, and right to rent checks, deposit registration as well as the preparation and execution of new legal documents. Please note this request to vary the contract is subject to consent and agreement from the landlord which will not be unreasonably withheld but is subject to a minimum term of 6 months being left on the contract.
- Payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant. If the tenant applies to leave their contract early, they will be liable for the landlords’ costs in re-letting the property as well as all rent due under the tenancy until the start date of the replacement tenancy. These costs will not exceed the maximum amount of rent outstanding on the tenancy.
- Payments in respect of bills - utilities, communication services, TV licence, council tax and green deal or other energy efficiency charges unless these are included in the agreement as part of the rent.
Click here for our terms of business for tenants.